Southern Peach and Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
Here’s a delicious Southern BBQ sauce recipe that includes two of the South’s staples – bourbon and peaches:
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
1 cup Vidalia onion, chopped
½ tablespoon garlic, minced
1 cup fresh peaches, peeled and chopped
1 cup bourbon
1 small chipotle chili pepper in adobo, seeds removed
½ cup water
2 cups crushed tomatoes
¼ cup honey
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
½ tablespoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook one minute longer.
- Add peaches, tomatoes, bourbon and chipotle peppers and cook, stirring often, until bourbon has almost completely cooked out, about 5-6 minutes.
- Pour mixture along with the water into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture back into saucepan and lower heat to low.
- Add remaining ingredients to saucepan, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often to keep sauce from sticking and burning.
Make 2 quarts.